Monday, December 7, 2009

Roy Halladay

Now let me start this off by saying this: If the Yankees get Roy Halladay in a trade the deck would be stacked on the side of the Yankees immeasurably. My desire for the Yankees to win is overriding the clear and present truth that Roy Halladay in Yankee pinstripes would be plain unfair.

I think the Yankees should make a push for this guy. Yes he is getting older. Yes he has had injury problems. And yes he is going to ask for some ridiculous, but deserved, contract that will push the Yankees farther and above the other teams in the league. Finally, yes he is going to cost the Yankees more than just millions. Despite all this information I think Halladay will be invaluable to the Yankees.

Here's why. First he is one of the best starters in the majors now. Since the Yankees already have one of the best starters in CC Sabathia, the acquisition of Halladay would give the Yankees the best rotation in baseball without question. Second, AJ Burnett, who I love, doesn't stop talking about how Halladay helped him become a more complete pitcher. Burnett was a mystery to most people in terms of which Burnett was gonna show up, Game 2 of the world series or Game 5. With Halladay on the staff it is a possibility that Burnett will be a more stable and consistent pitcher. Not to mention what Halladay might do for the other pitchers on the pitching staff. Third he is a horse. He will eat up innings and save the bullpen on those days we need him to much like Sabathia. This means our bullpen will be very rested and better suited for the playoffs. Lastly the Yankees will be deadly in the playoffs. Sabathia, Halladay, Burnett, and Pettitte is one of the scariest short series rotations ever.

Now the matter of the trade. I think that this trade becomes much more attractive to the Blue Jays if the Yankees also take Vernon Wells in the trade. I would prefer not to include him in the trade so I will not. The Blue Jays have said they want a combination of OF Austin Jackson, C Jesus Montero, RHP Phil Hughes, and RHP Joba Chamberlain. What it comes down to in my opinion is which pitcher the Yankees are willing to deal away. I'm torn on this topic. Joba has the potential to be a closer like Bobby Jenks, fireballer who strikes people out in the big situations, which we saw in the World Series, despite giving up the homer. Phil Hughes in my opinion can be a big time starter. However his shakiness in the playoffs concerns me because the playoffs are a place where pitchers need to feel comfortable. The two position players, Montero and Jackson, are two players I have no attachment to. If they turn out to be top players good for them but I feel the Yankees can get rid of them and not miss them too much.

One way or another I think this trade makes sense for the Yankees.

No comments:

Post a Comment