Monday, December 7, 2009

Austin Jackson

If your like me, you have been following the Yankees closely for a long time. You know the roster inside and out, and you hear rumblings in the minor leagues. Players that might have an effect on the future of the Yankees. And if your like me you have been hearing a name quite a bit over the last few years. That name is Austin Jackson.

This is what he looks like in case you were wondering.

Now I have been hearing about him for a long time. I mean a long time. He is supposed to be the CF of the future but despite all the buzz about this player I haven't seen so much as an appearance in batting practice. He wasn't even a September call up this year. Now if he is supposed to be this great prospect where was he in September when the entire minor league system gets their big break. As it stands now our CFs are Brett Gardner and Melky Cabrera. Let me break it down. Brett Gardner has all the speed in the world. Only problem is he can't hit and never gets on base. Thus his speed is negated and is relegated to a late inning pinch runner/defensive substitution. On top of his hitting woes, he also makes a ton of base running mistakes. Now for Melky Cabrera. Melky doesn't have great power and has average speed. However Melky did prove to be one of the most clutch Yankees last year and was a huge part of the many comeback wins the Yankees had last year. His defense is slightly above average with an above average arm. Unless I'm mistaken that leaves the Yankees with two average players at the centerfield position. Why isn't Austin Jackson making a name for himself when these two guys are in front of him. Don't get me wrong I believe that Melky and Gardner are valuable in their own right and I have oversimplified their abilities. But shouldn't the top prospect at CF be able to win the position from these two guys.

What I'm saying is, Austin Jackson I want to see something from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment