Monday, December 7, 2009

Now Catching ...

I believe the Yankees have caught lightning in a bottle made of winning lottery tickets and gold they struck in the California gold rush. I am talking about Francisco Cervelli.

This guy game up from Single-A and filled in for an injured Jorge Posada. He played backup but was a solid backup. This past season Cervelli was the third catcher and impressed me greatly. If you remember correctly Joe Girardi was ejected from a game in Atlanta. Cervelli was the batter directly following the ejection and he hit a homer. This was the turning point in the season. From that point on the Yankees went on a tear and eventually won the World Series. Also Cervelli stepped in to a pitching staff and handled veteran pitchers AJ Burnett, CC Sabathia, and Andy Pettitte magnificently. He has the makings of the catcher of the future. I think the Yankees have stumbled upon something special here and would be remiss to ignore that. Cervelli has proven he can step in and shows a lot of promise. I'm hoping the Yankees agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment