Thursday, December 31, 2009

Left Field

At this point I would like to go over the options available for the now vacant left-field position.

Reed Johnson: I remember Reed Johnson mostly as a guy that wasn't terrifying but not a sure out either. He was good not great. His fielding was average and he couldn't have had a worse arm than Johnny Damon. The Yankees are not looking for a great amount of power now, they are really just looking for table setters so their lineup will be more well rounded. Reed Johnson has been on the Yankees radar and many believe he will end up with the Yankees. I am not sure on this one. He would be a nice addition and I wouldn't mind having him on the Yankees.

Jermaine Dye: Recently his defense has become a little more than questionable, remember the play that got Melky the cycle? Although that should not sway you because left field does not require amazing range and Dye still has a good arm. His production as a 5 or 6 hitter would probably be one of the best in the game. Also let's not forget he is proven in the postseason, winning the World Series MVP in 2005. Personally I think Jermaine Dye would be the best pickup for the Yankees, aside from Damon. The Yankees could even probably get Dye under their "budget" and he could be the steal of the offseason.

Johnny Damon: I feel I have made my feelings on Damon clear. I want him back. He was never afraid of anything and that was never more evident than his performance in Game 4 of the World Series. Everyone will remember him stealing second and third but I will remember his at-bat against Brad Lidge. He was down in the count and fought of several pitches and ended up getting a single to left. Nothing was more clutch than that performance. If Damon won't come down on his price his return to the Yankees is unlikely and I don't like that.

Rick Ankiel:
This guy has sparked my interest a little bit. He does come with baggage. He is injury prone, he had that incredible meltdown in the playoffs, albeit as a pitcher, and that whole HGH thing. But he brings some good things to the table. His defense is average to above average and his arm is probably one of the best around being a former pitcher and all. His bat is what I'm actually interested in. With the way the New Yankee Stadium plays, lefties are at a supreme advantage when it comes to power. Ankiel provides power and would hit a ton of homers at the new stadium. However he does have injury problems. In the middle of a pennant race having your starting left-fielder, cause I assume he would be, out for the season is not a setback you want to endure. I am interested in Ankiel but mostly as a last resort.

No comments:

Post a Comment