Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Aroldis Chapman

I guess I've put this one off for as long as I possibly could. Aroldis Chapman has defected from Cuba to come pitch in the Major Leagues. He is a fireballing left-hander who is willing to learn in the minors instead of jumping straight to the big leagues. He really impressed lots of people during the World Baseball Classic, and if the World Baseball Classic is any indication he has the potential to be a very good pitcher in the Majors. Pedro Martinez won himself a roster spot on a World Series team based on his performance in the W.B.C. and may be a fair indication of how a player may perform in the majors. This guy could be a valuable part of the Yankees. The only question is, are we going to get Orlando Hernandez or Jose Contreras?

Personally I think someone who throws really hard is not always a guarantee. I've seen a ton of relievers come in who throw 97 and bomb miserably because they aren't real pitchers. Which is why I am a fan of Chapman going through the minor league system. There he can learn to use his pitches effectively and not just rely on his fastball. Do I think the Yankees should sign him. Yes and no. It's not a necessity but it would be nice to have that kind of pitcher lurking in the minors. I imagine it was how Giants fans felt when they had Lincecum or Angel's fans excitement for Jared Weaver. However signing Chapman would once again bring up the argument every non-Yankee fan has against the Yankees and that is that they buy their teams. Chapman is not a player I'm dying to have on my team he would be nice to have but I don't see him as a must sign.

One thing should be noted. The Red Sox could snag this guy and potentially make their rotation better. The Red Sox are stock-piling pitching like their is going to be a shortage of pitchers in the future. I would rather not see the Red Sox get another young pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment