Monday, January 25, 2010

Babe Ruth Award

Alex Rodriguez received this award the other day and it brought him to tears.

What is that award you ask. It is the Babe Ruth Award otherwise known as the postseason MVP. The announcement that Arod won this award produced two different emotions in me; empathy and redemption. For years I have defended Arod. Many people close to me have, for lack of a better term, shit on Arod and without fail I would come to his defense and attempt to redeem him in their eyes. Just because I defended the man does not mean I have any personal attachment to him. He plays for the Yankees and therefore I feel it is my duty as a Yankee fan to support him regardless of performance or lack there of. So come this postseason I had heard every possible slight against Arod imaginable. It was great for him and me, although something tells me it was better for him, to have him produce so greatly in the postseason. Finally people will stop talking about how he has never hit in the postseason and will continue to drag the team down. In fact this year without Arod I contest that the Yankees would not have won the World Series. Therefore I feel redeemed that Arod finally came through and proved that maybe hate and booing isn't the way to go. Arod was brought to tears when they presented him with the award. Clearly it hit him. What do I mean by "it"? The World Series victory, the silencing of critics, his validation as a great player, being embraced by the fans, and just that his past is finally behind him. And that is what I empathize with.

No comments:

Post a Comment