Thursday, April 22, 2010

A-Rod ... le sigh

During today's game A-Rod annoyed Oakland Athletics' pitcher Dallas Braden. The incident occurred on a foul ball off the bat of Robinson Cano. During the play A-Rod went from first to third and ran back across the field to get to first base. When returning to first, A-Rod ran across the mound. This is what ticked off Dallas Braden. After the game A-Rod didn't understand what got Braden angry and said something he shouldn't have said:
“He just told me to get off his mound,” Rodriguez said. “I was a little surprised. I’d never quite heard that. Especially from a guy that has a handful of wins in his career.”

This is what Braden had to say about the incident:
“I don’t care if I’m Cy Young or the 25th man on the roster, if I’ve got the ball in my hand and I’m on that mound, that’s my mound,”

I disagree with A-Rod for taking a shot at this guy because he's not a household name. It screams "Do you know who I am?" and I hate people like that. Derek Jeter does not do that and neither does Mariano Rivera. Just because you have a ton of homeruns does not give you that right.

Now normally I would defend Alex Rodriguez just on principle. However this is the second time Rodriguez has broken an unwritten rule. The first time being when he was running around third and shouted at the thirdbaseman Howie Clark. Since Clark thought he was being called off, he backed away from the ball and let it drop in allowing Rodriguez to score. Back to the matter at hand.

Unwritten rules are something not to be tampered with. It is hard to explain why they are important be they certainly are. I hope he wakes up because he needs to start obeying the rules. No one is above the unwritten rules. Not A-Rod not anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment